Within two weeks of that Bible study, Sara developed an excruciating pain in her side that made her bedrest for the remaining two months of her pregnancy. That meant it was nearly 3 months before we resumed Bible studies. I’ve wondered all this time why God allowed that major distraction in their lives. Last week I discovered the reason.
I was once again at their home for Bible study and Sara asked me if God allows trials in our life for a purpose. I told her that He did. Then with tears she told me that those 3 months were the hardest their family has faced. Paul had to take several months off work to stay home with their first child and during that time he began spending an hour reading His Bible every morning. His love for God grew and not long after we resumed our studies, he told Sara he was ready to begin keeping the Sabbath.
As she told me this story, it hit me! I'd been praying they would keep the Sabbath, but God knew that Paul and Sara did not have the faith to obey. How could they develop that faith? He allowed a fiery trial in their lives to drive them to the word for “faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Romans 10:17. The word built their faith and love relationship with God to the point they were ready to obey. And all that time I thought this was a distraction! It was the very thing needed for them to do what I had appealed to them to do!!
What an amazing God!
Now a year later, on October 20, 2007, Paul and Sara were baptized into the Lansing Adventist Church. That was a very special day for me and them. It is beautiful to see the spiritual journey they have been on.
Their experience has completely revolutionized the way I am going to pray for my Bible study contacts and for my own heart. Lord, if our love for you and faith in you is not strong enough to lead us to obey you, do whatever it takes to develop that faith in us. It will be worth whatever pain endured!

7 comments:
Praise the Lord, Staci! Almost brought tears to my eyes...thinking of God's goodness.
Staci, I wish I had been able to see the baptism! They are such neat people. I remember talking to you about that study with them a year ago. I'm glad God gave you the courage to say what needed to be said. And I am thankful for how God works--we don't always understand the plan, but then in the end, it works exactly how it should. We just need to trust him more!
Praise God Staci. Those fiery trial are hard but as you said....may God do whatever it takes to develop in us the desire to obey. What a powerful witness you are to this type of faith... may God be glorified! love ya, Melanie
Staci, what an awesome experience. Praise God for how He has blessed in this family's life, and how He used you to appeal to their hearts and bring them to the truth.
I'm glad this story was as inspiring to you as it has been to me. Come visit my church sometime and I'll introduce you to Paul and Sara!
What an inspiring story!! Yes, God has a reason and purpose for each set-back and pain! Thank the Lord we can trust Him!!!
Hi Staci, I linked over from your sister's blog and have enjoyed reading your posts. This one especially touched my heart as I am on a modified bed rest in my last month of pregnancy, and I just want to devote as much of this time to my devotions as possible. Praise the Lord who always has a plan, and one that is so much better than we'd ever imagine!
Post a Comment