Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Camp Pugwash, Nova Scotia

Several years ago I was asked to write an article for the publication Adventist Affirm on the topic of Christian dress. At first I was hesitant because this can be a very touchy topic, but after much prayer God enabled me to write the article “Dress: An Issue of My Heart.” This spring the president’s wife of the Maritime Conference called me. She’d read my article and appreciated its fresh approach on the topic and invited me to be the guest speaker at their women’s retreat. I asked if my mother could join me as I thought it would be more enjoyable doing it together.

That is how Mom and I ended up at Camp Pugwash the end of September. It’s a beautiful camp located on the Northumberland Straits where the Atlantic Ocean passes between Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The theme for the weekend was “Growing in God’s Beauty” and focused on how to develop inward beauty that is reflected in attitudes, actions, and modest clothing that glorifies God and protects the hearts of others. I believe this topic is so important for girls and women to understand and yet too little is ever said on the topic or it is not handled in a Christ-like way. We felt blessed by the way God led in our presentations and how open and receptive the ladies were. I’m including below a selection from one of our presentations that I believe clearly outlines God’s principles in these areas.


Beauty & Dress Philosophies in Contrast

World: Beauty is external and physical.
Christian: Beauty is internal and spiritual. (1 Peter 3:3,4)

World: Your body is all important.
Christian: Your body is temporal. (2 Corinthians 4:18)

World: Little if any emphasis is given to the beauty of the inner being.
Christian: The character on the inside is most important, eternal, and lasting. (2 Corinthians 4:16)

World: Your body is your identity. Your feeling of security or insecurity about yourself depends on how you feel about your body.
Christian: Your body is not your identity. Your identity comes in recognizing that you are a child of God of infinite worth. (Romans 8:15-17)

World: You are the highest authority. You are the ultimate species of evolution. No one can tell you what to do. Your body is all yours.
Christian: God is the final authority because you are not the product of evolution but of His design. As such your body belongs to Him. Your body also belongs to your husband or husband to be. (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20; 7:4)

World: Love your body first. Dress to please yourself.
Christian: Love others first. Dress to honor them. (Matthew 22:39)

World: Dress to be noticed.
Christian: Dress to please God and reflect His glory. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

World: Purpose of clothing is to reveal the body to create sexual attraction either overtly or suggestively.
Christian: Purpose of your clothing is to cover your body and conceal nakedness. (Revelation 3:18)

World: If you’ve got it, flaunt it! Show your stuff!!
Christian: Draw attention to the life of Christ within me. Self is hid in Him. (Colossians 3:2, 3)

World: If you want to be loved you must be beautiful, sensual, and alluring.
Christian: You are already loved, not for your outward appearance but for who you are – a child of God. (Romans 8:35, 38, 39)

World: Use your body to tempt, tease, and tantalize men.
Christian: Use your body to protect, edify, and strengthen men. (1 Corinthians 10:23, 24)

World: Clothing is driven by latest fashions.
Christian: Clothing is driven by the Word and heart of God. (1 Timothy 2:9, 10)

Adapted from Nancy Leigh DeMoss CD series Modesty: Does God Really Care What I Wear?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are excellent guidelines, Staci. And it is obvious from what I know of you that you live out your principles in your own manner of dress. It would be cool if you could make a video podcast, such as 10 minute presentations about dress, modesty, adornment, etc. You have a good sense of taste, and could present visually to women who are more challenged in that area, or who are new to dressing that way, solutions that are appealing.

Okay, it's a crazy idea, and you probably don't have much free time. But it would be cool, no?

Autumn said...

Staci! I can't wait to see all the pictures you took! I am glad to hear the talks went so well! There is such a need for it out there. Love you! See you in just 4 days!!! Yippeeeee!!

Melanie said...

What a beautiful place and nice pics of you and your mom. I wish I could have been there to hear what you both presented. This weekend your mom is in Berrien presenting at Village. I thought I might hear from her about staying here but they must be putting her up some where. Anyways, praise God for your chance to minister in such a nice part of the country. Happy Sabbath! Have fun with your sister!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to write that article on dress. It is a sensitive topic and its good to hear girls talking about it. I agree with Michael it would be nice to tape presentations and maybe put it on youtube. I read this thing in Review about how Adventist young people are putting material up on youtube and maybe your presentations might help some one. :)

matt mattzela said...

Hey Staci,
I copied the "Beauty & Dress Philosophies in Contrast" and posted it in my Xanga blog. If thats not alright for copy rights reasons or something else let me know.

Staci said...

I'm glad that all of you enjoyed the pictures and the dress concepts I posted here. Feel free to share them with others as they are so relevant. I will see what opportunities God opens for me to share these presentations with more people. Thanks for the encouragement!

Tim said...

I also appreciate your stance on these issues as well as your willingness to share them with others. We should have you come out to CA sometime!

Anonymous said...

That is a refreshing approach and gets to the real heart of the issue instead of focusing on just the externals. I was wondering if the series was recorded in audio format and could be distributed? It sounds like an excellent set of presentations that more people would like to hear. The pictures of the view of the ocean were awesome, I could almost feel the breeze. Such lush green grass in a picture of the ocean! Thanks for sharing. And I've finally left a comment as I promised! :)

Melanie said...

HI Staci, just wondering how life is going? Where's some new pics? Anyways, are you coming for GLYC? I would offer my place but my parents are here for meetings. Anyways, hope to see you.

Melody said...

Staci - I really appreciated this post as I have recently been thinking and praying more about this area of my own life!

Also...this is exactly the kind of material we are looking for teaching and sharing with CCBN...Biblical Christianity made relevant to today's young adults! Have you thought any more about this line of ministry or possibly working with us on a few projects? Pray about it, and let's talk more if you are interested!!

Thanks again for sharing! You are an inspiration!!