Thursday, August 30, 2007

Maps, Members, and a Mission

Last month I told about the colporteur team that came to my city. They have left now leaving us with the names of over 80 households requesting free services like personal Bible studies, revelation seminars, and health seminars. It’s been my job to coordinate the follow-up of all these interests. That’s far more than I can handle so it was time to invite the church to help.

The first thing I did was to enter all the data into a database and then plot each address on a huge map. This was color-coordinated based on the type of interest. Each was numbered corresponding to an excel spread sheet where that person’s contact information was displayed. This number was also attached to a mapquest map and the original receipt of that person and placed in a file that would allow members to quickly find it. They could then select the Bible lessons, Balance health magazines, and Final Events DVDs to take with them on the visit based on the interests checked on the survey.

Last week we had an outreach night where members could come and select as many names to follow up as they chose. The system was easy enough to follow that it allowed them to choose based on geographic location, type of interest, or gender. So far I have had over 35 members participate in this. (Those on stage are some of those.) I’m coaching them by providing training on what to say and do and keeping in touch with them periodically to give them suggestions as to how to proceed. I also accompany them on visits as I can. I’m so proud of each of them! I’ve been praying so much that God would teach them and bless them.

Last night one of the members told me how when the lady at the door asked her what church she attended and she told her Seventh-day Adventist, she responded, “Oh the true Sabbath!” The lady already believed Saturday was the Sabbath but wondered how the change had come about. Our member invited her to come to church next Sabbath when Doug Batchelor preaches here and she plans to come!

Another exciting update … remember Paul and Sara, the young Methodist couple I’ve been studying with for about a year? I’ve posted about them before requesting your prayers when they were struggling with their decision to keep the Sabbath. (See October 27 & November 3, 2006 post). Well they have been coming to church for several months now. Last Thursday in our Bible study they told me they want to become baptized members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. That’s right!!!! I’m so happy!!! :) THANK YOU so much for your prayers for them. I’ll be sure to post pictures of their baptism when it occurs.

This week I said goodbye to Autumn who is on her way to Canada to teach. This was the last photo we took together before she left. Don’t laugh! We were at a Civil War reenactment and had to become part of it! Wouldn’t you say we look lovely? I’ll miss my sister!

4 comments:

holamickey said...

That last picture is so cool... in addition to the fact that you gals are cool there is a picture of you on the table in the picture.
Fun...
Courage in the mission!

Autumn said...

Oh, dear, what a crazy photo of us!! you just had to include that, eh?? Oh, well, good thing I didn't grow up in that era! I would hate having to wear bonnets all the time! Keep me posted on how the outreach goes. I love you and miss you terribly! Come visit me!!! Love you!

Autumn said...

Oh, yes, and notice that my strings are tied UNDER my chin!! Not to the side! That is important to point out!!

Staci said...

Michael, I thought that picure reflection was cool too.

My sis, yea I had to post it. It was too cute to pass up. And all you male blogger readers, it is very important that you know Autumn is wearing her strings under her chin -- which we learned means she's not looking for a husband!