Friday, March 19, 2010

What Adventists Could Learn from the JWs

This afternoon my mom and I were shopping in Sears when a young lady named Jasmine (age 26) approached me and asked me about my dress. She'd noticed mom and I were both wearing skirts and she said she rarely saw that these days and wondered what our reasons were. Anyway, it led to a discussion on modesty, then health, vegetarianism, and the fact we were SDA (she'd heard we had an edge on health and was curious to learn more).

We then asked if she attended a church. She said that after much studying she had recently become a Jehovah's Witness. She said it almost sheepishly as if fearing what we might say. Rather than reproach her, I genuinely asked what had attracted her to the JWs. That led to a two hour discussion on the similarities and differences between Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses. While we came to realize neither of us was going to convert the other, I did learn some things from my sister that made me wish in some ways that we Adventists were more like our Jehovah's Witness friends.

In what ways? Keep reading!
  • I was struck by this young lady’s commitment and zeal for her faith. She had studied herself into “the truth,” counted the cost of joining a despised religion, braved the ridicule of family/friends, and was willing to sacrifice time and convenience in order to live out her convictions (like having no blood transfusions) even if her family did not understand. How much have Adventists had to suffer to become members, particularly in North America? I almost wish we had to face more persecution if it would weed out the insincere from joining our ranks.
  • Her husband, though a believer in the message, has not yet been baptized. This is because one cannot become a Jehovah’s Witness by just believing the message. You must sacrifice for it. It has to be your number one priority in life - you must give time for it. This includes becoming a “publisher” – proclaiming the message door to door through the giving of Bible studies. Not until you demonstrate that you really believe the message by actively proclaiming it and giving Bible studies are you ready to become a baptized member. If Adventists were not baptized until they demonstrated their belief in our message by committing hours to sharing it and giving Bible studies, would we not have more well-ground members and a significantly decreased apostasy rate?
  • What drew Jasmine to the JW was their worldwide mission focus, their training and equipping the witnesses to be part of this mission, and their commitment to set aside everything of the world to fulfill their mission. What if we set before potential members our world-wide mission focus more and called them to a higher commitment level in being part of the mission before having them become members? Would it not make our membership stronger?
  • Jehovah Witnesses believe that time is short and Armageddon is soon to come. As my friend put it, “There will be time for studying music and art after Armageddon but now is the time to prepare people. How much time do you think Noah spent on entertainment while building the ark?” The urgency of the end presses them to set aside pleasures and entertainment now. How convicted are we that the end is near? What pleasures are we willing to set aside to devote time to proclamation?
  • All baptized members put in outreach hours. She said she averages 8 (when she's been sick) to 50 hours a month. Others put in many more. What if every Adventist spent 8 hours a month (a bare minimum requirement of just two hours a week) giving Bible studies? Would we not see our churches growing?
  • I asked her what the elders do to motivate the members to put in their missionary hours each month and she looked at me like that wasn’t a concern in her church. Everyone does it. It is part of the culture! Everyone is working and reporting. There is no problem with getting members involved. Would that were the case in my church!!
  • There is no paid clergy and no paid “Bible workers.” Everything is volunteer or self-paid. Some in her congregation work part time jobs to only cover their basic expenses so they can put in 100 hours of outreach a month. Would we in ministry still do it if we were not paid? Would we work a bare minimum of hours needed to pay for our basic needs so we could spend the rest of our hours going door to door looking for someone to study with?
  • Every Tuesday night is ministry school where baptized members and those studying the faith meet together to be taught how to preach (ie. give Bible studies). She said the format usually exists of them sharing a presentation they have put together and practicing it on each other. I got the idea that this was to help them be prepared to share it with others. Do our churches have a weekly training school where there is practical teaching, practice, and preparation for soul-winning that will take place that very week?
  • Jehovah Witnesses believe they have "the truth" and are sharing it. Their official website says that in 2009, 7.3 million members gave 7.6 million Bible studies and baptized 276,000 new members. If they can do that much and not have the real TRUTH, how much more could we do if we would actually get out there and share the real TRUTH?
While I could not agree with Jasmine on several theological points, I must say I was drawn by her evangelistic conviction. In talking with Jasmine, it was very apparent that she was using the same Bible worker skills on me that I use on others to try to find common points of belief and use these to invite them to study further. It seemed strange to have that done on me! But I am really thankful I had this unexpected visit in a Sears store. It has opened my eyes and made me think there are some things about the Jehovah’s Witnesses that I would like to see our church do. What do you think? Would you agree?

19 comments:

Sarah Shim said...

Wow Staci! What a rebuke and a challenge! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Very good insights Staci. Did you ever finish your shopping? :) The only thought I toil with is the thougth of mantatory bible studies as a prerequisite to baptism. I defintitely think that giving bible studies gives balance and health to the Christian walk. And certainly witnessing can come in many forms than in just Bible Studies (such as your divine appointment in Sears that did not turn into a regular weekly bible study session) So, my struggle is that JW's give bible studies not just for baptism but also with a "works based" mentality. They must do it to be saved. Would SDA's become more works based if giving bible studies was a prerequisite to baptism? Is that not something that comes naturally through the in dwelling of the Holy Spirit and of course through the providential leading of God? I don't know if this makes sense and I certainly do not have an agenda with this, but it was my initial thought and concern.

Thanks for sharing.

Sharna

Staci said...

Sharna, actually we never did finish our shopping! After two hours I think our brains were weary and we wanted to just get home and finishing our Sabbath prep!

I think you make a good point about the works based mentality. That is actually a question we thought about asking afterward. "How do you think a person is saved?" That is an interesting question especially considering they don't think Jesus is God. I think there could be a danger in having a person prove they are ready for baptism by logging so many hours of outreach and giving so many studies. I think we have not done this because we don't want the focus to be on performance. However, I think we might have another problem and that is that they are baptized pew warmers and stay such afterward. If we could get people involved in service before their baptism I think they would stay involved afterward. I think that was my only point.

Unknown said...

I've had similar thoughts about Mormons, having met and spoken to some very nice young Mormon evangelists on airplane flights and such. It's impressive how broad and powerful their missionary program is. I always come away wishing our church was as active.

Having said that, I would be concerned about plans to require certain levels of involvement. As soon as you do that, people who should never be witnessing are doing it because they see it as a path to some office or position, and they may do untold damage. To me it would make more sense to evaluate members, and when you see certain qualities (humility, Bible knowledge, love for people, etc.), THEN sign them up (nominate them, appoint them, whatever) to do the work. And keep adding to that number, as opposed to just having a few official Bible workers.

Joelle said...

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I wish we could motivate more people to get involved... hmm.

Matthew Hohnberger said...

Staci,

I can understand and see your desire for SDA’s to reach out like the JW’s. This life is filled with decisions and a constant battle against the left or right. ”And he (Josiah) did that which was right ... and turned not aside to the right hand or to the left.” 2Kings 22:2 The biggest difference should be in our life and our approach to witnessing and evangelism. Like Jesus our life and actions should be more of a witness then our words. As people see Jesus in us they will be drawn by the Holy Spirit who is in us. Witnessing in this way can only come from a personal experience with Jesus Christ. This is what we are lacking! The 12 disciples were far more effective in their evangelism then we are with radio, TV, Satellite, Evangelists, internet, email, blogs, networks, meetings, airplanes, vehicles, speaker systems, video, etc. The lives we touch every day at work, play, recreation, shopping, etc. is our field to sew and / or reap. Sometimes it is indirect, sometimes direct or sometimes by giving of myself for others. This can be done as a working man, house wife, missionary, bible worker, etc. Giving out tracts and bible studies are just two tools in the tool box. The closer we resemble Jesus will be seen whether we are wearing a dress or pants. Being different is what we should be, but the difference we should want to be seen is who has control of my heart and life. The more like Jesus I am the more I can be used by Him.

Our works should be an outpouring of Christ's likeness in me. This can not be required or organized by the church or others for us. It is a free will choice - something God gave at the Garden of Eden. When one person gives their life 100% to God the effects of that life will be innumerable! Works should be the fruit of a life not the make-up applied or the controlled actions to show or represent my decision and salvation. No church, organization or structure can produce this in us. God and the Holy Spirit must “have this work in us.” Some may sew, others water and some reap what was sewn. May we each be / do what God calls us to - in the moment. Only then we can be as effective as those before us and through God’s power and strength even more so!

My desire is not to see the people in our church with better works, but filled so fully with Jesus that our works “are of Him and not of us.” So they say, “He / She has been with Jesus!”

Jenni said...

I have had similar experiences when talking with JW's and Mormons. We do have Adventist laborers that are as passionate as them... unfortunately they are fewer in number than one would wish. Its all about the true conversion. If one is tuly converted they can not help but to share what they are experiencing...

Staci said...

Michael, that is an interesting concept and one I quite like. People become involved because their heart is in ministry rather than for what they could gain (prestige, power, etc.)

Matthew, I really appreciated your comments as it showed that the real problem in our church is not our lack of DOING but our lack of BEING. Witnessing in whatever form it can take has to be the natural result of a connection with God. Thanks for emphasizing this!!

Paeter said...

Great post and points. Some of those points I've sort of mummbled to my self about in the past (like the point about the woman's husband). This is a good kick-in-the-seat as I have been thinking lately that I need to do more.

Daniel Mendez said...

Hi Staci,
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. I like the list that you posted.

My initial thoughts were exactly like Sharna's. We would very easily have a bunch of 'works based' members... and it is bad as it is when some think that not working on Sabbath makes us better in some way because we 'keep the commandment' (Sabbath is for ceasing from our works, including Salvation).

I do like Matthew's response a lot as well. Very nice.
M.H.: "Our works should be an outpouring of Christ's likeness in me. This can not be required or organized by the church or others for us."
I agree 110% with this. However, I think that many members have yet to experience what it is. One way to realize our need is to reach to others, to be a part of a Bible Study or to be part of something similar. When we see and realize how little we know and how much more we need to grow, when we feel our need for God and for more of His Word then you can be sure that people will aspire for more.. "more and still more".

So I think there is room for something... what? I don't know. Often I thought that we need to dedicate a Sabbath to have a special program with a short message, and a demo of a Bible study. Then to invite some to try it right there on the spot? Definitely to challenge members at the end with some challenging doctrinal questions or Salvation related issues that would help them see how we don't have mastery of the beliefs.
But this is not meant to make people more Christ-like... just to bring them to God and His word. It is the Holy Spirit who changes people.

my 1 cent. :)

Anonymous said...

I really see a focus in the way JW live out their faith. However, like some have commented, I would find it rather stifling and hard to be Christian with the amount of focus they have.

Balance is always something important and necessary in order to live a full Christian life. I believe that includes time for studying other things such as art, etc..., engaging in social activities outside of Bible study.

Nevertheless, it would be refreshing to see our church members living in the world, but living a congruent yet distinct life from the norm out there.

gwalter said...

Last year I had the pleasure of baptizing two ladies who returned to Adventism as a result of a city-wide evangelism series where Shawn Boonstra preached. These two friends left Adventism 25+ years ago and joined the Witnesses. One of the ladies in particular, who became a dear friend, still speaks with fondness of her years as a Witness. She too has taught me much.

George Barna, in his book Revolution, talks about people who leave The Church, not because they are leaving God, but because they desire something deeper. For too long, we have reduced Christianity and Adventism to a formula, but we have forgotten the vision, the mystery - which is God, and the commitment that leads people to go deeper.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight!

mark said...

Great post and great comments! I have often admired the dedication of both these very mission-minded people.

Sharna's comment I think demonstrates perfectly an either/or dilemma we sometimes face: We don't want a "works-based" religion so we sit back and wait for the "natural" outworking of the Holy Spirit in our lives. But waiting on God is not passive, it is actively seeking His presence. It is this experience of daily seeking Him, that will bear the fruit of His character being revealed in us, and then the natural outworking of the Holy Spirit will be seen in our lives.

Thanks for sharing! Blessings!

Gregory John said...

I don't know a much about the JW's, but having spent two years (2004-06) attending and studying at the MSU Latter Day Saint institute of learning I was impressed how the Latter day Saints got everyone involved in sharing their faith- they were as busy as a hive of worker bees. Another thing that impressed me about them, was how they encourage their children at a very young age to earn and save their money so they can at age 19 self support themselves on a two year mission of sharing their faith. Another positive thing, which we as Adventists could easily adopt is that they have a family worship night once a week dedicated to strengthening their family values & morals as it relates to their way of life in the mormon faith. As Adventists we can always learn from others in how to live our life in the faith we love and the God we serve.

gwalter said...

Staci, I thought you might appreciate this post:
http://reinventingsdawheel.blogspot.com/2009/11/meeting-seventh-day-adventists_15.html

Unknown said...

Hola Staci,

After studying w/a JW in Rapid City (SD) for over a year, the title of your article caught my eye. I too was greatly blessed and grew tremendously in studying my Bible with him.

As positive as the witnessing as a requirement for membership/baptism sounds, it has its negative drawbacks.

The "I have to witness", vs. the "I want to witness" spiritual view does have long-term effects.

After visiting the Kingdom Hall w/Jerry (my JW Bible study friend) and him opening up about how "privileges" are lost when not enough hours are put ... I'm not sure punitive/excluding consequences would in the long term produce the kind of missionaries that we as Adventists would want.

Ultimately God offers us choice to develop a character like His, and witnessing needs to be presented (and repeatedly reviewed) to our church as the means by which our character is transformed into His.

There are some sincere JW's though, as I am sure this friend you met, who do it as a sincere demonstration of their faith.

Blessings!

Ariel

Andrew said...

Dear Anastasia,
I am late by more than a year. I will try not to be negative but I disagree with you in many instances.

1. You said:

"If Adventists were not baptized until they demonstrated their belief in our message by committing hours to sharing it and giving Bible studies, would we not have more well-ground members and a significantly decreased apostasy rate?"

No. Ironically Jehovah's Witnesses have the highest turnover ("apostasy"?) rate of any denomination

From here:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1716987,00.html

We have this quote, for example:

"An even more extreme example of what might be called "masked churn" is the relatively tiny Jehovah's Witnesses, with a turnover rate of about two-thirds. That means that two-thirds of the people who told Pew they were raised Jehovah's Witnesses no longer are — yet the group attracts roughly the same number of converts. Notes Lugo, "No wonder they have to keep on knocking on doors."

I think to some extent you may not have accounted for, similarities between yourself and the young lady may have stood out to you. However, not everybody has the same religious impulses or are attracted to "the truth" for the same reasons (skirt lengths included).

2. You also said:

"How much have Adventists had to suffer to become members, particularly in North America? I almost wish we had to face more persecution if it would weed out the insincere from joining our ranks."

I must say I was taken aback at this statement.

This is just an illustration that everyone is different and that our church is made up of different types of people with different impulses.

"...weed out the insincere..."?
I shuddered a little to be honest.

Based on life experiences I have much more inclusive impulses. I don't know any "insincere" people in the church (not qualified to judge them) and the one I know that "need help" (myself included sometimes ) I don't want to leave or be "weeded out" at all.

New convicts always have striking commitment and zeal--although I am not arguing against any of those qualities.

Let me be positive: Zeal and commitment are things we cannot guilt people into having. It must come from a living encounter with Jesus Christ (which I am pursuing in hope).

Having said that:

3. You said:

"What if every Adventist spent 8 hours a month (a bare minimum requirement of just two hours a week) giving Bible studies? Would we not see our churches growing?"

For Jehovah's Witnesses putting in hours is a function of their theology which makes "good works" mandatory for salvation. Witnessing (canvassing) is defined as part of this.

4. Finally, you said:

"How convicted are we that the end is near? What pleasures are we willing to set aside to devote time to proclamation?"

Your larger point is taken, however, when it comes to Jehovah's Witnesses, one of the things they are known for (at least here where I live in the Caribbean) is a disdain for education. "Music" and "art" is also "engineering" and "medicine". Beyond high school "no time for art" means more than that.

Again, I am chalking it (your impressions) up to the fact that your religious impulses (generally conservative) dovetail with the young woman's personality type.

Maybe I'm just judgmental and silly--but that's my humble opinion.

Andrew said...

Lastly, what is "TRUTH"?

Spend enough time with non-SDAs and you'll realize how little slogans and buzzwords mean to them. Or theology can be arcane and esoteric.

It is my humble opinion that we've got to do better than this.

Frank Z. said...

This part of the article was excellent:

"She'd noticed mom and I were both wearing skirts and she said she rarely saw that these days and wondered what our reasons were."

This is one of the keys to better evangelism...just live out the practical reform messages by faith. People will notice.

Ps. 34:2 - "My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad."