Wednesday, March 10, 2010

LIFE

Recently I attended the funeral for the mother of a dear college friend. She had seemed so vibrant and healthy until last August when she learned that she had brain cancer. My prayers accompanied many others as she fought her final illness but in the end God saw it best for her to rest till Jesus comes. Attending the viewing and funeral made me think a lot about life – especially about my life.

Life – what is it? Do I have it? You say, “Of course! Are you not a breathing, conscious human?” But I ask again? Am I really alive? You see, I have been thinking that life is not about existence. Life is not breathing, talking, eating, and working. That does not signal life. Life has got to be more than that.

In his first letter, the disciple John talks about hearing, seeing, looking upon and touching the Word of Life. “The life was manifested,” he says, “and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us.” 1 John 1:2

The disciples had seen many breathing, eating, and working people in their lifetime but until they met Jesus they had never seen LIFE. And when they saw it, they couldn’t get enough of it. They had to touch it – hear it – watch it – experience it.

What made the difference? Jesus didn’t just exist – He had LIFE. And that LIFE emanated from Him bringing LIFE to all who came into contact with Him. Lepers were healed, an issue of blood was dried, a withered hand was restored, a demoniac freed, a prostitute made pure, and a dead man raised to life. All because He had LIFE.

And what about me? Sadly, when I evaluated myself I realized I was not living. I was just existing. Granted my life is full of ministry – giving Bible studies, writing Bible lessons and other Bible study material, and training soul-winners. I was constantly talking about LIFE but I was not experiencing LIFE. How do I know? Because there was an apathy that was stealing over me. There were moments when I felt bored and unsatisfied. Other times I felt burned out. My fast-paced, constant busyness in ministry often left me feeling drained, tired, and blah. I’d read my Bible in the morning but my mind was more on what I needed to accomplish that day than on really connecting with the Lord. I rushed here and there – from one urgent ministry task to another.

Then it hit me – I was not experiencing LIFE. And when you are not experiencing LIFE you are really dead. “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” 1John 5:12. I would need to have an infusion of His LIFE into my life if I was to really LIVE. And this was exactly what Jesus was waiting for.

“Jesus is waiting to breathe upon all His disciples, and give them the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, and transfuse the vital influence from Himself to His people. He would have them understand that henceforth they cannot serve two masters. Their lives cannot be divided. Christ is to live in His human agents, and work through their faculties, and act through their capabilities. Their will must be submitted to His will, they must act with His Spirit that it may be no more they that live, but Christ that liveth in them.” Ye Shall Receive Power, p. 26

To have LIFE I must have a transfusion of His life into me which only can happen if my will is submitted completely to Him. It also is the result of spending time with the Source of LIFE.

God was so amazing! I’m at this funeral and these thoughts are going through my mind. Death is no fun! But Jesus is the resurrection and the LIFE (John 11:25). And even those who are dead can experience LIFE when Christ infuses His life into them. And I began to pray that God would do that in me.

I want LIFE. I want there to be a freshness and energy in each day. I want to have a sparkle in every moment. I want there to be vibrancy in my worship – my relationships – my ministry. I want to radiate LIFE so when others are around me they want to be better people – to live holier lives – to experience for themselves the LIFE they see in me which is really just an invitation to experience HIS LIFE.

That weekend I made some commitments and some changes. I decided that what was hindering me from experiencing LIFE was putting ministry before personal time with God. So I have committed to making my morning devotions connection time with God – not prep time for ministry projects. I have committed to disciplining my mind against distractions that will steal me away from this infusion time with LIFE. And when I did this and started acting on this commitment, I began to experience LIFE. What a difference! Let me end with one quick story.

One morning last week I had plans to go to the gym. I had about a half hour before it was time to go and I was going to do some reading. But then this conviction, “You need to connect to LIFE before you go. Spend the time instead in prayer.” So I did. And while I was praying God brought to my mind the name of a non-Adventist who is attending my Bible Marking class. I then remembered that she had a doctor’s appointment that morning and that she was very fearful for she thought they were going to tell her that she might die. Right then God said, “Call Betty and read to her Philippians 4:6, 7.” The text flashed into my mind and I knew it was perfect for her. I immediately made the call, reached her, shared the verses with her and had prayer with her. She was so appreciative. Then I realized if I had not connected to Jesus the Source of LIFE that morning, I wouldn’t have remembered her, I would not have reached her before the appointment, and I would not have had the right words to share with her. It gave me chills to see the difference LIFE brings to me and others when I have it!

LIFE – Do I have it? I am committed to having it and I know where to find it. How about you? Do you have LIFE? I invite you to experience LIFE! You will never want to just exist again!

“Whoever eats My flesh, and drinks My blood, has eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.” John 6:54

4 comments:

Jason Lounds said...

Thanks you for this. I certainly have fallen into existence. I would love to step out into life.
=)

Paeter said...

Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Staci! Life without LIFE...hmmm...interesting concept.

Shawn Brace said...

What a great reminder to all of us, Staci! I really appreciate you pointing us (and me, specifically) back to what life is all about. I know that, in my devotional time each morning, my mind can often get sidetracked into "ministry" things - all good things, but just not really connecting with that LIFE of all lives.