Friday, November 20, 2009

Life Trails

Earlier this week I was feeling a little depressed. Last January, I had asked God if He could give me some new life-changing experience in 2009 - something that would challenge and grow me. He gave me a gift - a semester of contract teaching for the religion department at Andrews University. This experience has been a huge blessing and with the semester almost over I couldn't help but feel sad - sad to say goodbye to my wonderful students - sad to not be able to regularly see the new friends I have made - sad to have this adventure come to an end.

I spent some time talking to Jesus about it and then went mountain biking on a trail I had never been on before. The narrow path was hard to see due to the leaves but it soon dawned on me that while I could never see far enough ahead to know which way the trail was going, when I got close enough to need to turn right or left it was clear at that point what I should do. I also noticed that whenever I got to what could have been an obstacle (logs) a clear path had been cut for me through them.

The path also wound around and around in apparent circles.
Just when I thought I was nearing my destination the trail would take a turn in the opposite direction and send me "backward" for awhile before bringing me that much closer to the trails end.

It was in the middle of that bike ride that I heard God speak.

1. "You may not know what I have planned next for your
future - you can't see that far ahead yet - but I will show you in time for you to take a turn."

2. "You need not fear or be concerned about imagined obstacles ahead. I have already cleared the way."

3. "Following me will require us going in directions you did not anticipate. Sometimes you will be tempted to question my leading, but trust me that every experience (the joyous, the confusing, and the painful) are bringing you that much closer to home."

I realized there are a lot of life lessons that can be learned on a mountain bike trail!

5 comments:

Paeter said...

Thanks for the post - I´m having to learn a similar lesson - I like seeing farther down the trail but trails are rarely strait.

Melody said...

Great post and object lesson! Thanks for sharing...Happy Thanksgiving!!!

hamdel said...

thanks for the post. timely and inspirational!

Anonymous said...

Very insightful and written well. I really like what you've said in this entry. Blog often because you've got a lot of good things to say and share.

Es said...

Hi Staci with an i...Thanks for sharing this post. It was a blessing to read and contemplate. Hope you are doing well!