Recently we had one of the most well-known artists in the Adventist church do a vespers program at our church. Nathan Greene’s paintings of Jesus are sermons in themselves introducing the viewer to a loving Savior and inviting him or her to enter a relationship with Him. In his presentation he said that no artist knows what Jesus really looked like. Every attempt is a feeble one. “When I am painting Him, I am trying to show His character of love, kindness, compassion -- a character that understands what we go through. If I show His character, and if you know His character, I belive you will recognize Him when He comes.”His words made me think of another portrait of Jesus - one where you and I are the canvass. As a child I would sing this song written by another Christian artist - Joni Ereackson Tada.
Portrait of Jesus
Father, you are the artist with canvass and paint.
Color my life with your blue skies and rain.
Paint seasons of sunshine in places of pain.
Till I am picture of Him.
Father, I am a canvass for you to create.
Capture the look of Your Son in my face.
But when you paint problems, Lord frame them with grace.
Till I am a picture of Him.
Father, you paint my future according to plan.
I trust you though sometimes I don’t understand.
The rainbow of reasons that flows from Your hand.
To make me a picture of Him.
Make me a portrait of Jesus.
Paint His love over my sins.
Make His eyes shine like a light through mine.
Make me a portrait of Him.
I pray I can be that kind of portrait of Jesus so when people see Jesus in me they will recognize Him when He comes.






3 comments:
Love the pics! Our pastor actually posed for the pic of Jesus with the black lamb. :) Nathan kept seeing him in one of the Net series on satellite somehow and contacted him to pose. Very cute story. Anyway...thanks for posting them! ~Kimberly
A wonderful vespers. I have been inspired by Nathan's stories behind the paintings.
Those paintings are nice to see. The one about the surgery is one I like.
Post a Comment