Friday, January 16, 2009

It's All About People

I am not one to make many New Year Resolutions but this year I made one. Actually, the formation of it began in early December when reading Set Apart Femininity, a book by Christian author Leslie Ludy that calls women to be completely set apart for God in every area of their lives. It was in a chapter called “Sacred Claim” that I came upon this quote:
“I lack nothing. I have everything—everything I want in Christ. But that’s not true for the world. There are millions and millions and millions of people who lack. They don’t know those words about the Lord who feeds hungry people. Nobody ever told them that oppressed people could be freed. ... If you will not reach them with the love of God, if you will not tell them that there is a God who loves them—loves them enough to die to make them whole—who will?”
Those are the words of Jackie Pullinger, a current missionary in Hong Kong who has poured out her life in providing rehabilitation for drug addicts, prostitutes, and gang members. She tells people that when they hear of a need, rather than assume another is going to meet it, act as though you are the only one who knows of it and God has specifically chosen you to meet it.

Then the conviction began. I thought of how easy it is for me to hear of suffering people and to say “those poor people” but then do nothing to help. I thought of times a Bible study interest has described to me a tough time they were going through and I've said something like, “I’ll pray things work out for you” when I should have found out if they was something specific I could do to help. I thought of how task and project-oriented I am and how I can be running errands in town or at the store and seeing people who really need a smile, a helping hand, or encouraging word but I am too busy thinking about the next appointment I need to get to or whatever else is on my mind. I thought of the “community impact” project our church members recently started where they are volunteering to serve food at a homeless shelter in town. I've not participated because I was too busy with other church ministry projects. 

I had never thought of myself as an insensitive, selfish person, but I began to come to the realization that rather than having a heart of compassion that would lead to action, I was rather self-centered. It wasn’t a pleasant realization!!

I have been studying Isaiah 58 these last few weeks. I read verse 2 and it sounded at first just what I would like said of me. The Message renders it: “They're busy, busy, busy at worship, and love studying all about me. To all appearances they're a nation of right-living people-- law-abiding, God-honoring. They ask me, ‘What's the right thing to do?’ and love having me on their side.” These are people who love church, Sabbath School, camp meeting, and 3ABN! They pride themselves on their strict adherance to the law. They keep the Sabbath (v. 13) and believe in the Investigative Judgment (v. 1, 3). Sounds like Seventh-day Adventists! And yet God is not pleased because they are not doing anything for those who are spiritually and physically poor.
“In slighting the claims of the poor, the suffering, and the sinful, we are proving ourselves traitors to Christ.” MB 137.1
I have been blessed in so many ways and yet too often I get so task-oriented I am forgetting about the people living next door to me, walking past me, standing in line with me, hurting around me. I am rebuked by this verse:
“For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” Galatians 5:13, 14
I've experienced liberty but am I using it for selfish ends? Am I more concerned about making sure I get to heaven or making sure my neighbor gets there?  I am asking God to strip the self-centeredness out of my life so my focus is not on myself but on others. As my friend Micheal always say, “My life, your life, is all about people.”

In 2009 I am asking God to give me a heart of compassion for people that leads me to practically and proactively focus on meeting the needs of others. I am going to apply this principle:
“Continual giving starves covetousness to death.” 3T 548
I have already found some great ways to put Isaiah 58:6-10 into practice in my life. 
  • I am sending money to the Detroit Rescue Mission. This month I get to sign a little card with a short message and my name that will be placed on the bed of a homeless person.
  • ADRA & Adventist World Radio both have great gift catalogs where I am going to pick a project and really make a difference for someone who has much less than me.
  • I've signed up to go with a few church members to serve food at the Homeless shelter in Lansing on Valentine's Day. I can't think of a better way to show love that day! 
  • I am also already making plans to become better acquainted with my non-Christian neighbor and to show some genuine love and care.
When we make the poor in spirit and physically poor a priority in our lives, notice what blessings God promises to give us in Isaiah 58:8, 10, 11:
  • Shine My light upon you
  • Heal you
  • Go before you and behind you to protect you
  • Answer you when you call Him
  • Guide you always
  • Satisfy your needs
  • Strengthen your bones
  • Water your garden
  • Raise up a new generation to rebuild your foundation
Who would ever want to miss out on that list of blessings? Can you afford to miss out on those blessings? Are you then willing to join me in making 2009 a year for making our lives all about people?
John 13:35 - By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.
1 John 3:18 - My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Staci, if I only had a tenth the compassion and godliness you have! You are an awesome person, continally striving to better yourself. You are an inspiration and I am so glad you are part of our lives. May God continue to bless you and lead your path.

holamickey said...

I love the title... I do this little game with people that visit my church - they are suppose to ask my members "What is it all about?" The right answer from the members is "It's all about people." To their credit they get it right (most of the time).
Keep doing damage to Satan's kingdom.

Staci said...

I thought you would. :) If I ever visit your church I'll be sure to ask the question!

Paeter said...

Thanks for the thought.