A lesson I am seeking to learn is that in following God, the journey is sometimes more important than arriving at the anticipated destination. Within the last several years I have gone through two experiences that seem eerily similar. Both involved a journey of faith – many Bible promises read and claimed along the way – excitement and joy about what God was doing in my life – and an abrupt end that left me very confused - even hurt. I found myself questioning my journey and wondering where I had misread God. Was God leading me on when all along He knew this is not where we were going to end up? Why would He do that?
Faith is not just expectation of what you cannot see – it is trust when you can’t understand or explain what has happened – when no answers are given. This was beautifully stated by a friend of mine in an email she sent me.
“God doesn't always tell us the end of the faith journey; His first priority is to start us on it. We think we should have a topographical map in hand when we start out, complete with all these promises that back up our assumptions. But the most important part is that we begin the journey, and God sometimes coaxes us to do that from our perspective, a little deceptively. Think of the Millerites. He actually used their honest mistake to test their faith in His promises. ‘For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.’ When they saw the bigger picture, they understood clearly why they had erred in judgment, not in the reckoning that God had begun a specific work for them, but in what that work was. They, too, had a sweet experience that turned bitter. Trust Him. Our understanding of what we think He meant is not the essence of faith. It is our confidence in HIM that is faith. Even when we think we got it wrong.”This week I watched a documentary about two Christian families in Michigan whose faith journeys also took a very unexpected twist. Students Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak were involved in a fatal car crash that left five people dead and four others seriously injured in April 2006. An unfathomable case of mistaken identity followed: Whitney, who was thought to have died, survived and for five weeks was cared for by Van Ryn's parents. During this time her family held a funeral for her and actually buried the Van Ryn’s daughter. When the truth became known one family received a miracle and the other, who had been clinging to hope for a full recovery, were devastated. Their story is one of unwavering faith in God in what many would call a cruel, deceptive act by God. They don’t see it that way. You can watch or read about this amazing story on Dateline and the Today Show.

What moved me were the words spoken by Aryn, Laura’s boyfriend of three years, at her memorial. After having spent five weeks journaling his prayers to God for Laura’s recovery and pouring out love on the girl he thought was Laura only to find out was not, he said this --
“I don’t want you to think that any of this easy. I don’t want you to think that I immediately turned to God the moment this happened and fell on my knees and praised Him. Even to this day singing the songs of God’s faithfulness is tough. But I believe it. I know it is true. There have been many times in these last couple days that I have been mad at God and I have questioned Him and how He could allow this to happen to me and how I feel like this was the biggest trick He has ever played on me in my life. But I know for a fact because of Laura and what she shared with me that she wouldn’t be happy with me if I didn’t really believe what I said. And I know that she would want me to turn back to the truth - to what is real - to turn back to the Word. So I did. And I can’t tell you enough the comfort Christ has given me in the last couple days. He has given me strength. And I know that one day I will have my joy back.”
I believe each of us must come to the place where we will trust God even when He does things that seem so unlike His character - when no explanations are given - no questions answered. Maybe we won’t understand why until we get to Heaven. But the lessons of faith and trust we develop in the journey is more important than the destination - the answers - the resolution. One day we will look back and realize His ways were perfect.
7 comments:
Staci, as I have seen you go through your wrestling with God this past year, I have often wondered what God had in mind. But I think of this quote..."God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him." DA 224
I too read the story about those two girls this week. Incredible story...
I too saw the interview on TV with both families. It was heartbreaking. How both families handled it was beyond amazing. They are truly Christians with the heart of God. Enjoyed your post on faith. It is so true.
Stace!
Thanks for the welcome to blogger or blogspot or whatever it is called. I'm glad I finally found your real blog hehe.
That is really neat that you are doing so much at your church! Many times while hearing about all that you are doing and have done over there I've often thought, "I wish I went to Staci's church!" lol.
Can you please e-mail me your sanctuary studies that you've done so far? I'm about to start a series on the sanctuary with my youth group and I think your studies might really come in handy if you don't mind sharing them!
Thanks!
-Tim
P.S. You are awesome.
Praise God Staci, thank you so much for the encouragement. I heard about this a while ago but never read the story. anyways, have a wonderful day!
After watching those two families' interviews, I bought their book, Mistaken Identity. It is an incredible, bitter-sweet read. I found myself smiling and crying throughout the book. I definitely recommend it. Their story demonstrates true forgiveness, love, in the way they've allowed God to lead them.
I'm challenged.
I really appreciated this post, and the most recent one! It's also similar of some experiences I've been walking for the last year or so of my life...only the morning has not come for me! But I know God knows what He is doing...and I know His way is perfect! (This is one of my favorite verses too!) Thanks for sharing Staci! You're an encouragement as always...
Post a Comment