Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Man Worth Marrying

One month ago today, Ruth Bell Graham, passed away. When Ruth Bell was a teenager, she was sent from her childhood home in China to a school in Korea. At the time, she fully intended to follow in her parents’ footsteps and become a missionary. She envisioned herself a confirmed “old maid” ministering to the people of Tibet. While at school, however, Ruth did give some serious thought to the kind of husband that she might consider. As she tells in her book A Time for Remembering, she listed these particulars:

“If I marry: He must be so tall that when he is on his knees, as one has said, he reaches all the way to heaven. His shoulders must be broad enough to smile, firm enough to say no, and tender enough to kiss. Love must be so deep that it takes its stand in Christ and so wide that it takes the whole lost world in. He must be active enough to save souls. He must be big enough to be gentle and great enough to be thoughtful. His arms must be strong enough to carry a little child.”
Ruth Bell never did become a full-time missionary in Tibet. However, she did find a man worth marrying: the Evangelist Billy Graham. As his wife, Ruth Bell Graham became a missionary to the whole world!

To all of you single girlfriends, let’s pray that God will lead to us a man worth marrying. A man who is comfortable on his knees in prayer is a man you will feel comfortable standing beside as He serves Jesus and His children. He is a man worthy of your love and respect. I am committed to wait for a man who has made this verse his life motto:

“Whom have I in heaven but you [the Lord]? And besides you, I desire nothing on earth.” Psalm 73:25

A man worth marrying:

  1. Puts the needs of others ahead of his own. He accepts people and is committed to loving them even when his love is not returned. Philippians 2:3-4, “Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.”
  2. Rejoices in his relationship with Christ. His joy in the Lord is evident in his life. John 15:11, “that your joy may be made full.”
  3. Maintains proper relationships. He seeks a good relationship with everyone -- friends, parents, siblings, co-workers. Hebrews 12:14, “Pursue peace with all men.”
  4. Refuses to jump ahead of God’s timing. He chooses against impulsiveness so he may always be in the exact center of God’s will. Psalm 37:7, “Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.”
  5. Seeks to meet the practical needs of others. He is not self-absorbed. He is moved with compassion to serve those in need. Ephesians 4:32, “Be kind to one another; tender-hearted.”
  6. Stands for what is right. He is known as a man of integrity. Genesis 39:9, “How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?”
  7. Follows through on his God-given responsibilities. Recognizes that when his God-given talents are combined with Jesus, he is adequate for any task. He is therefore neither overconfident nor insecure as he approaches it. He is diligent, dependable, and stays with a difficult task until it is completed. 1 Corinthians 4:2 NIV, “Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.”
  8. Understands the importance of feelings and emotions. He takes the initiative to lead but tempers it with gentle responses toward the feelings of others. Colossians 3:12, “So as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”
  9. Flees temptations to compromise. He refuses to be in situations that are sensual, immoral, or impure. He avoids strife and jealousy. He does not allow a temper to control him or anger to destroy him. Proverbs 25:28, “Like a city that is broken into and without walls is a man who has no control over his spirit.”

The man you consider may not have all these qualities perfected. He may be at differing levels of maturity, but there will be evidence of each of them in his life. Set your standards high, for to find and be married to such a man is one of life’s highest privileges. It is worth whatever wait, whatever cost.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice list; you came up with some good points, including some very insightful ones. I like the verses that you included.

I would have added:

Possesses beliefs and convictions in harmony with your own. "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" Amos 3:3.

Has sufficient humility to be gracious when you clash, and the type of love to see past mistakes. "A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench." Matthew 12:20. "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11.

Recognizes his God-ordained role to be the spiritual head of the home. "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church." Ephesians 5:23.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great... I guess lately I have been worried about being a woman worth marrying... so I just have to share with you a list that has really helped me in all my relationships lately:

A woman of his dreams:
1. Prays for him
2. Respects him
3. Adores him
4. Initiates friendship with him
5. Safeguards her marriage
6. Encourages him (looks for ways to compliement him everyday)
7. Admires him
8. Believes in him
9. Plays with him

"An amazing thing happens when we begin to show respect to our husbands. They begin to act respectable."

Most of these I gathered from a book I am reading called Becoming a Woman of His Dreams by Sharon Jaynes.

I think Stacy you will be the dream wife, for sure.

But just lately I haven't been able to study any other topic in my devotions--so I decided to read this book and practice it on my parents and family. It has been so funny to see them react when I compliment them or tell them ways I respect them. I guess God wants me to be single to teach me something! LOL :)

I am praying you find your dream husband when it is God's will.

:) Cristy

Staci said...

Michael, thanks for your comments. I think you added several important ones to the list. I have to admit the points weren't original with me. I gained them from a book I'm reading though I did modify them some.

Christy, your list of the women of dreams was excellent. I'm going to have to get that book! I am currently reading, Lady in Waiting: Becoming God's Best While Waiting for Mr. Right and it share similar insights. Highly recommend it! Your comment about me was so sweet. :) Thanks for praying for me and my special guy-to-be!

holamickey said...

Staci-
Thanks for sharing the list and scriptures: It was a beautiful challenge for me. Cristy - yours was also a well stated list. Your point about practicing now was especially good.
Is it possible that anyone but God came up with the idea for relationships.

Melody said...

Enjoyed this post and thought it was very insightful! I made a similar (although longer) list a number of years ago, of what I was waiting for in a godly man and partner, and then after each character trait, I wrote out how JESUS fulfilled each of those areas that I desired in a godly man! In other words, these are character traits/standards that we need to hold out for....but in the process, we also need to realize how Jesus meets each of those areas of desire and need in our lives! It's beautiful! And I know He's doing that for you too, Staci, as I see your life and testimony, and it's a great inspiration and blessing!

In closing - have you read the book "Quest for Love" by Elizabeth Elliot?? It's probably impacted me almost more than in other in book in truly surrendering this area of my life completely to God! I've also read the ones you all mentioned, and they are great as well, but check out QFL if you haven't read it!

Blessings, and thanks for the inspirational post!!!

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing this Staci. I praise God for His plans, and pray daily and even more for His love to penetrate my heart more completely. I miss you... please come visit soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Stacy and all, these ınsıghts are all beautıful and I thank the Lord that these are ın lıne wıth the topıc am praparıng to share wıth my Frıends at church, my concerns are what we do as we waıt upon the Lord. I know that God has somethıng beautıful for all of us. Lets keep the faıth, our blessıngs are not far. One thıng am sure of ıs that I wıll marry a God ordaıned Husband who wıll enjoy hıs Marrıage wıth me. God bless you all and please lets keep up wıth the good spırıt of teachıng and helpıng one another. My Favorıte verses Psalm 27:13-14