That was the title of the sermon that I preached at the Jackson church this morning. This little church is the oldest continuous Seventh-day Adventist Church in the world founded in 1849. Wonderful congregation with lovely people. I loved the day I spent with them!I spoke on famines, looking at three of 10 famine stories in the Bible -- Joseph in Egypt, Elijah and the Zerapheth widow, and Elisha and the famine in Samaria. The connection between the three is that in every case the survival of the nation or the individual depended on their belief in the prophetic Word of God. Without the Word, they would have starved. The Bible speaks about another kind of famine -- a spiritual one -- that also is solved only by the Word of God.
America is considered to be a Christian nation with over 75% of Americans claiming a Christian affiliation, but there is still a famine in this land.
“There is a famine for the word of God. There are few who preach the word unmixed with human tradition. Though men have the Bible in their hands, they do not receive the blessing that God placed in it for them. The Lord calls upon His servants to carry His message to the people. The word of everlasting life must be given to those who are perishing in their sins.” Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 228, 229.
Jesus looks at the multitude who have never had the opportunity to hear the undiluted Word of God -- the Word of truth that will prepare them to stand in the final crisis -- the Word that will set them free from the deceptions of Satan. He looks on them with compassion and turns to us and says “Give ye them to eat.” Like the disciples our reaction is often one of feeling overwhelmed. What have we to feed so many? How can we make Jesus and His Word so attractive to them that they would have no more desire for the cheap imitations of the world? How can we counteract all the error and human traditions that they have been fed?
In our moment of helplessness, Jesus asks us “How many loaves do you have? Go and see.” (Mark 6:38). We are to do a spiritual inventory and discover the resources we do have. Can you pray? Are you patient with the erring? Do you know how to make friends? Can you pass out a piece of literature? Can you share your testimony of what Jesus has done for you? Then once you have counted your “loaves and fishes” bring them to Jesus and place them in His hands -- every one of them. They may seem so small and insignificant in comparison to the need, but when you give Him your entire lunch in complete surrender, He will perform an amazing miracle. He will multiply your little so you can feed the starving multitude.
Friend, I want to challenge you like I did the Jackson members to bring to Jesus your loaves and fishes. Someone you know is in a spiritual famine. Jesus wants to feed them His Word through you. Will you allow Him to?
(Addendum: Interestingly, after I had completed my afternoon training class, a very depressed woman walked off the street, into the church, and sat in the back row. A member approached her and realized the woman had given up on life. She came and got me. “Staci, maybe you are here today to speak a word to this woman.” I sat down beside Arlene and put my arm around her as she began to share that she has no hope for the future, no purpose in living. Though Catholic, she had just felt drawn to walk into our church. I told her that God had drawn her there because He loved her, understood exactly how she feels, and still has a beautiful plan for her life. I encouraged her to share with God her struggle. It was heartbreaking to see the sadness and despair in her eyes. I gave her a Keys to Happiness (Steps to Christ) and an Amazing Facts guide on God's love and asked her to promise me that she would read them before doing anything drastic. Then I prayed with her before she returned to the street. A famine in the land? Here was one soul who is starving without hope. I pray I gave her some!)
1 comment:
Jackson! I have been to that church - very nice. Please pass a big "thank you" to your family for the beach volleyball yesterday -That was fun.
Post a Comment