Monday, June 25, 2007

Michigan Camp Meeting 2007

I've just returned from spending 14 days at Cedar Lake preparing for and serving during camp meeting. I always look forward to the spiritual blessings I gain at camp meeeting even though I always come home physically exhausted from the long hours of work we each put in. This year's highlights include:

1. Ordination Service
Two of my childhood friends were ordained the first Sabbath -- David Shin and Nathan Stearman. I have known both of them for over 15 years. In fact, Nathan and I attended the same one-room church school in Wichita, Kansas when he was in 8th grade and I was in 7th. I have been present for his 8th grade, highschool, and college graduations, wedding, and ordination. Both of these men are called of God and very gifted. It has been inspiring to see them grow in their ministry.

I cannot think of a more solemn and moving service than attending an ordination service in the Michigan Conference. It is a time when the candidates are committed to God and accept the call God has made on their lives. Elder Gallimore then gives them a challenge based on 2 Timothy 4. You realize how solemnly important the work of the minister is. It is a servant-leadership position that can affect the salvation of souls for eternity. One day I hope to stand next to a young man -- my future husband -- as he is ordained to the gospel ministry. I can't imagine anything I rather do than work alongside him in winning souls for the kingdom!

2. SAFETY
I had a new job this year in safety. After spending several years on the gates, this year I was in the safety base office keeping things organized and learning how to operate the radio which is the nerve center of all staff radio traffic on grounds. There is a lot to it! The final Sabbath I had my biggest challenge yet -- responding to two simulataneous medical emergenies, one being a heart attack victim. I had to make the 911 call and keep the radios clear of general traffic until the emergency had been dealt with. That was kind of stressful but God gave the wisdom I needed.


3. My Class on "Giving Bible Studies to Friends"
Monday through Friday I taught a class on how to give Bible studies. I had between 30 - 45 people attending regularly. This has to have been the best class I've taught in the last several years there because it was something I am extrememly familiar with. The final day I shared numerous stories of how I make appeals in Bible studies to lead people to make decisions. My entire seminar was recorded and will be available for purchase through Hope Video.

4. Time Spent with Friends
When I wasn't at my safety job or teaching, I enjoyed moments with friends that I don't regularly see. Christian fellowship is so wonderful and uplifting. Diana Santos, Kyle Allen, and Sedric Benson joined us the first Sabbath and Michael Goetz and Kyle the last. Thanks, guys, for all the stories and laughs!

3 comments:

Joelle said...

Awww, Staci! I miss you and Autumn-in! Wish I could have been at campmeeting. I actually watched a little online. (If I'd known they were being ordained I probably would have tried to watch THAT online!) Hope you're doing great!

holamickey said...

Thank you for the ministry of safety! We all felt better because of hard working people like you. Praise God for the Ostermans and their hospitality.

Anonymous said...

Just think--Nathan preached his first sermon for his eighth grade graduation. That was a good school year. I am thankful God allowed me to be the teacher of 7 special students. Four of those students still serve the Lord, two are sleeping waiting for his coming, and I am not sure where the 7th is.