I understand that this church has not done public evangelism in about 25 years – partly due to the Japanese culture being intimidated by doing proactive witnessing. However, I believe a revival is taking place in this church and that the members have now gained a vision for sharing Jesus with their co-workers, neighbors, and friends and also inviting them to take Bible studies.
On Friday night I had 30 individuals attend my seminar and about 55 were present for the 3-hour session Sabbath afternoon. I incorporated breakout sessions, role-playing, and practical stories and ideas into the training, so the time went by quickly. Everyone seemed to love it!
The only bad part of the weekend was my flight home. My flight out of San Francisco was delayed 3 hours due to mechanical problems, causing me to miss my connection in Chicago by 10 minutes, forcing me to wait for the next available flight – 4 hours later, arriving in Grand Rapids at midnight, followed by another hour drive home. It was a long day!!! But I had a lot of time to think, pray, and read, and count all my spiritual blessings! Now for some photos ...
Aiko in front of her church. It was a beautiful Sabbath day -- the warmest I've had this year. It was great!
Sabbath afternoon we did an activity where each group had a literature kit filled with 25 witnessing items. They read through a list of real-to-life case scenarios and then selected the piece of literature that would be best to give away in that situation based on a conversation shared, a holiday, etc. They loved this activity because it gave them so many ideas for how they can witness by giving small gifts of literature every opportunity they can.
One of the best parts of the trip was spending time with friends I've not seen in a long time. It was great to spend the weekend with Aiko. She made the most awesome tasting food for me and really made me feel at home.
I was delighted to see John and Ritsuko Triplett who I didn't realize still lived here. I hadn't seen them since they lived in Michigan a couple years ago. John and I go way back to our one and only year together at Hartland College in 1998-1999 and a summer doing Bible Work together in West Virginia in 2000. He now is an evangelistic for Amazing Discoveries.
And I must end on this lighter note. We took this walk Sabbath evening in a neighborhood where we found this shopping cart from Whole Foods a few blocks away. Now read the fine print!
4 comments:
oh how nice!
It was also great to see photos of Aiko, John and Ritsuko!
What a blessing that you were able to traing and encourage them!
:)
Glad you had a nice visit to CA. Too bad Advent HOPE and Loma Linda is so far from Mountain View. Joelle and I would have liked seeing you while you were out here.
Staci- Yes... staying on your head is not such a delight - but it does change one's perspective of what normally just routine.
Looks like a good trip to CA - What a wonderful idea it is to scatter your friends throughout the world.
Blessings!
Staci. HEYYYYY!!!!!! how art thou?! Long time girl. anyways, life is Berrien is as normal. I am gardening, giving daily H20 to my flowers and hoping for the best. So far so good! anyways, what is God doing for you lately... you haven't blogged. It seems that many people have been taking a break. Well, TIME TO REPORT!! ;) Anyways, hope all is well. God bless. love ya!
Post a Comment