My perspective of Valentine’s Day has changed through the years. As a child, I looked forward to the “Be Mine” card from my grandparents and the enclosed money gift. As a teenager, I basically ignored the holiday. As a student at Andrews University, I couldn’t ignore it with balloons, teddy bears, and chocolates being passed around, love songs being sung by classmates, and everyone seemingly with their special someone. It was that year that I realized I could no longer ignore Valentine’s Day. Rather than feel sorry for myself for being dateless on a campus full of couples, I determined to once again pledge my love and faithfulness to a young man I have yet to discover. I promptly went down to my local Wal-mart and bought him a Valentine’s card, wrote him a letter telling him I was thinking of him, and then filed it away. That was four years ago.
As each Valentine’s Day rolls by and I become that much closer to leaving my 20s, I sometimes wonder if God is concerned about my love life (or lack thereof!). I wonder how much longer I must wait. But then I remind myself that I really have so much love in my life right now – love from my parents, my sister, my grandparents, my friends, my co-workers, my Bible study contacts – and most of all the love of my Savior which supersedes them all!! I choose to make Valentine’s Day a celebration of that love.
But God also knew I needed to know I was special to someone this Valentine's Day. So I was delightfully surprised this Monday night when I got home from work to find this teddy bear and my favorite flowers--tulips!! A gift from the most special man in my life right now. Thank you Dad!! I needed that. And I love you!!!

So if you are single this Valentine’s Day like me, don’t give way to self-pity. Instead think of all the love you do have in your life. And recommit yourself to remaining faithful to that special someone God one day will bring into your life. And with that said … it is time for me to go sign another card!
5 comments:
Enjoyed the post. Nicely put. Saving up love notes for your future love ... how sweet. Now about the "closer to leaving my 20s" -- honey, when you hit three-oh, everything changes. For now, you have it good. Anyway, keep up the great posts. I hope more people migrate to the Blogger world.
That was beautifully shared...and I totally identified with the feelings and conclussions! God is sooo good!!
Melody
PS: And by the way...what Michael said about hitting the big three-oh thing! That is not true!! I turned 31 this year, and life isn't any different than being in my twenties....except I am closer to God more now than ever before!!! And that's a change worth being excited about! It only gets better!
Hey! That was awesome. Thanks for the encouragement! I needed that...Singleness is a gift and I am immensely enjoying it, but sometimes it would be nice to have someone special...
Your father is such a special man. He's so kind and thoughtful. I am so thankful he shares his special gifts of love with all his girls.
One day, you too will have one of those special men. Then, the wait will be well worth it. Love you!!!
I just read your post. wow! that's really neat. blessings
Post a Comment