Matthew Grosboll (October 28, 1977 - July 22, 1991)
Twenty years ago today I lost a best friend. He was fun, sanguine, energetic, sensitive, and committed to God. He died in a fiery plane crash with his father (Marshall), mother (Lillian), and 10-year-old sister (Christine). He was only 13.
Matthew and I became instant friends the first time I visited his home in Wichita, Kansas. I remember clearly that day. He was seated on a riding lawn mower and invited me to sit with him as we zig-zawed across acres of land that surrounded his home and the Steps to Life ministry led by his parents. The ride was fun. He was fun. I was immediately drawn to his outgoing personality.
Shortly after, our family moved from Arizona to Wichita. I saw Matthew every day at school, at church, and at the ministry where both of our parents worked. We became great friends. We were only seven weeks apart in age.
I have so many memories of time spent with him during the nine months that I lived in Wichita. There was the evangelistic series held by his father. He had to constantly be in the middle of the action. There was the Sabbath we sang special music and belted out the words to Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee.
There were the games of baseball where we, our sisters, and friends Nathan & Heather Stearman would kneel and pray before each game asking God to help us keep a Christ-like spirit while we played. He taught me how to "ice skate" in tennis shoes on ice-covered parking lots and on the frozen pond near his house. And there were the hours we spent on the swings talking about our lives, our dreams, our God, and the people we wanted to reach for Christ.
I remember how we both went to the same orthodontist that picked up patients in a limousine! We dreamed of it coming to pick us both up from school but it never worked out. He and his dad took me flying in his dad's private plane. We buzzed over the Steps to Life office and everyone ran out to wave at us! I remember also our arguments about whether or not the nearby river was the Arkansas river or the "Our Kansas" river. I insisted on the former and he on the latter. He thought Kansas was heaven on earth and would get defensive if anyone disagreed with him!
And then there was school. That year mom "homeschooled" Matthew and Christine, Nathan and Heather, one other teenage girl, and my sister and I in the living room of Mike & Helen Thompson's home. It was fun having school with my best friends. I remember Matthew's playfulness in school, his fascination with studying the bombing of pearl harbor for his history report, our discussions in Bible class, having him as a reading partner, and spending time drilling each other on our Bible chapter memorizations. He and Nathan were working on memorizing the entire Psalm 119! I still have the practice tape they both created. :)
That year Nathan graduated from the eighth grade. Here is our class at the graduation.
Matthew and I were very close. At times I was certain that we had feelings for each other though we never talked about it. I distinctly remember his reaction when I told him our family was moving to Tennessee. He avoided me and began to act strangely. He later wrote that he was heart-broken to know that we were moving. He said he would cry when he thought about us moving and Nathan going to academy, realizing he would have no more close friends around.
Then he wrote this:
"I have never had such good Christian fellowship in all my life and been so close to the Lord. Thank you Staci for helping me in this part of life. Thank for filling a spot in my life that I don't think anyone else could do. You have been a great blessing, support, and helper in my life for Christ. Thank you for filling this spot. I will never forget you for this."
Our family moved in June to Tennessee. We wrote back and forth. I even got a postcard from him while his family was traveling in the Netherlands. I missed him a lot.
And then the tragic news came that on July 22 while returning from a camp meeting in Washington state, their private plane flown by his father tragically crashed in a canyon. The entire family perished.
I was devastated. It was the first loss I had experienced of a friend. He was so young and full of life. He had so many dreams of one day becoming a pilot himself and working for God. And now he was gone.
I will never forget traveling back to Wichita for the funeral. Every where I walked there was a memory of him. I remember going to the Sabbath school class we had both attended and hearing the teacher appeal to us young people to carry on the work Matthew could no longer do - to win some souls in his memory.
That challenge has never left me. In the twenty years that have passed I have labored for many souls and seen many precious ones baptized. But could I have done more? Twenty years have passed. I never expected it would be this long before I would see my friend again. How much longer? Am I doing enough to hasten Christ's return?
Twenty years ago I said goodbye to a dear friend. I pray that very soon I will see him again. It is going to be so much fun exploring heaven with him. I can picture him wanting to meet everyone and inviting me to come along. I look forward to catching him up on what we sought to do for God after he was gone.
That day cannot come soon enough. I miss my friend and can't wait to see him again!
8 comments:
Aww Staci...how sad..only God knows! Thanks be to Him for the Blessed Hope!
Staci, Thanks for sharing those memories. 20 years ago today. Amazing. Matthew would be 33 now - same age as Ben. I remember getting the phone call about that plane crash, even though I was only 5. I was too young and lived too far away to know cousin Matthew very well. But I remember how much fun Ben had with Matthew. Now they're both gone. I have set my mind on another day and another world. I appreciate you posting this.
Thank you for sharing that tribute Staci! Brought back memories. Matthew was a very good friend to you and so many others too. I remember we were in CA on vacation when we got the news. We were headed to WA to see my sister and Chester and I got a flight out of Seattle for the funeral. It made such an impact on my life. I remember his cousins- Rhonda & Benji said that I could take a couple momentos from Matthew & Christine's rooms. I took Matthew teeth models and also this wooden airplane he had made. That airplane hung from my ceiling literally until last Christmas when I finally redid my room after all those years!
They were definitely such a family of faith. I, like you, never dreamed 20 years would pass before Jesus would come. Surely it won't be another 20! Thank you for sharing!
Before they left, Matthew had asked if I could go with them to camp meeting, but since Lillian was going I stayed home and thought nothing more about it...until that day! What a day! I'll never forget it.
We were waiting for them to return and began to worry when their plane never arrived. Soon we heard about the forest fire and started panicking as more information came in. Those next few days were a blur and all we could do was cry, cry and cry. I couldn't eat, especially since the view from my dining room window was in direct sight of the hill where the backhoe was digging their grave - their one grave. Walking through their empty rooms was so surreal...knowing they weren't coming home and we'd never hear their voices again.
Matthew's two fish were still in a dirty tank and even thought I tried to take care of the big, black one it finally died. Mr. Fish came to live with me in academy and tragically died, after one of my classmates used him for an illustration. I was devastated!
To this day, I still have several of the items which I kept to remember my friends - one is Matthew's bright, red London double decker bus. I have a binder filled with pictures and newspaper clippings about the crash.
For me, this was the first time I had lost young friends who I was very close to. Christine and I had spent the summer working together on all kinds of projects upstairs. I did the house work for Lillian. Matthew loved to talk and so I got to listen to him go on and on about life and the things he was into at the moment. Christine was determined that she wasn't getting married. It was a fun time.
My life suddenly snapped into focus on July 22, 1991. I broke up with my current boyfriend and got serious about God. Upon returning to academy, I was baptized and decided I had to be there on the resurrection morning to welcome my friends back to life. I'll never forget that day...
I don't know if I should post this. But I have not thought of this family for a long time! What emotions were stirred while reading this post. You'll posted very wonderful thoughts. As I read the post feelings of anger boiled to the top, feeling that perhaps it would feel good to even cry about it--20 years latter. Those are memories that I buried so deep and I didn't realize they were still there. That was the day I lost my best friend Christine!
Thanks for sharing that article abou Matthew. It certainly brought back memories of yesteryear. Blessings!
Staci, Such a thoughtful reflection. Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience. Won't the resurrection be a wonderful time? May we each one be found faithful!
Thank you for sharing that.
Post a Comment