Sunday, April 19, 2009

Without Me

I left the Bible study thoroughly frustrated. I had failed to be a teacher - something unusual for me. For the past 45 minutes I had tried desperately to explain Daniel 9. I knew the material and I had done my best to explain the dates, the math, and the significance of it all. What normally would have captivated my students did not work for these two. They seemed distracted. They wanted to rush ahead in the lesson. They acted like they already knew the material while a few questions proved they did not. Leaving the study, I was so frustrated I just wanted to go home, but I had to pull myself together for my next study. That evening my feelings of frustration had grown to the point I never wanted to give Bible studies to these ladies again even though they want to be baptized. Why did this study always have to be so difficult? Why did my tried & true methods not work with these two? If I couldn't get through to them, who could?

A few days later when talking with my pastor about this “impossible case”, the words to a quotation I had read the previous week hit me with such force.

“Let us not forget that as activity increases, and we become successful in doing the work that must be accomplished, there is danger of our trusting in human plans and methods. There will be a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. We shall be in danger of losing our sense of dependence upon God, who alone can make our work succeed.

“The most earnest workers will be safe only as they depend upon God through constant, earnest prayer. They will need to make earnest supplication that through the grace of Christ they may be saved from taking pride in their work, or of making a Savior of their activity. They must constantly look to Jesus, that they may realize that it is His power which does the work, and thus be able to ascribe all the glory to God.” Christian Service, p. 98

I had thought the problem was them, but in reality it was me! God wanted to show me that even though I am training others how to give effective, successful Bible studies, I still need His help to give them. I may have the gift of teaching, but I am dependent upon Him to use it. I had become so caught up in my work that I was not praying for help in giving these studies. I knew how to give them! But I was made to learn I didn't.

It is a humbling thing to come to the foot of the cross and realize that Jesus' words are so true. “Without me, you can do nothing!” But I praise God for the Spirit of Prophecy that gave me a much needed rebuke and reminded me of where my priorities need to be. What a difference it has made in the weeks since when in the morning I have plead with God for the wisdom to do what I cannot do without His help! Thank you, Lord, for reminding me.

“Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good.” Christian Service, p. 99

3 comments:

Glow4Jesus said...

Wow, I needed that reminder. Thanks for sharing...God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Stacy, you do not know me and we will probably never meet since I live on the other side of the world, but your blog is such an inspiration for me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Daniela

holamickey said...

Thank you... thank you and Amen.