Thursday, November 06, 2008

A Retreat with God

I have just returned from the most amazing three-day retreat with God. A friend of mine gave me his cabin up north so I could get away from the bustle of Lansing and refocus. Last spring I began a brand new ministry – a discipleship training school for church members called Project T.E.A.C.H. (Teaching Evangelism to an Army of Christ’s Helpers). It is a one-year mentorship in personal evangelism. The Lord gave me the idea, guided me in the selection of the students, and led me in writing the curriculum. God has blessed and several of the members have ongoing Bible studies as a result. But I was beginning to feel like something was lacking, that I had lost focus somewhere along the way.

God miraculously cleared my schedule and gave me a place where I could do nothing but read, study, pray, listen, and plan -- all in the beauty of nature. I read large portions of Christian Service, Evangelism and the books The Radical Prayer and The Master Plan of Evangelism. I wrote out each principle I found that related to the training and discipleship of members – how Jesus modeled it and the principles for today. Then I wrote an action plan on how I was going to apply that principle in my ministry. The result was incredible! I came away with a whole new philosophy of ministry that will radically change this training school, my work with conference Bible workers, and my future ministry for the rest of my life. Here is a very basic synopsis of what God showed me.

#1. Selection – “He chose from them twelve.” Luke 6:13
  • Jesus invested in men – not methods – for it is individuals who change the world.
  • He focused on discipling only twelve – rather than mass recruitment – because it would require one-on-one time to reproduce His life in them.
  • I must select a few in whom I can pour my life.
#2. Association – “Lo, I am with you always.” Matthew 28:20
  • Jesus appointed twelve that they “might be with Him.” (Mark 13:14)
  • “All Jesus did to teach these men was to draw them close to himself. He was his own school and curriculum.” The Master Plan of Evangelism, p. 41.
  • “One living sermon is worth a hundred explanations.” Ibid, p. 42.
  • I must invest time in developing my team both professionally and personally both within and outside of class by spending time with them.
#3. Consecration – “Take my yoke upon you.” Matthew 11:29
  • “When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.” The Cost of Discipleship, p. 89
  • “Obedience—the service and allegiance of love—is the true sign of discipleship.” Steps to Christ, p. 60
  • Jesus called would-be disciples to a deep level of commitment, which is why He asked them to count the cost. Those not willing to commit were not chosen.
  • I must invite only those who have already demonstrated an entire consecration of their lives to Christ and in my mentoring of them always remind them of the obedience and surrender Christ is calling us to.
#4. Impartation – “Receive ye the Holy Spirit.” John 20:22
  • “Then He called His disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them.” Luke 9:1, 2
  • Before sending them out, Jesus instructed His disciples and gave them every gift they would need to accomplish the mission He was assigning them.
  • I am to teach my team everything I know and have learned about soul-winning as well as provide them with every resource and material they might need in their witness to others.
#5. Demonstration – “I have given you an example.” John 13:15
  • Jesus modeled for His disciples every thing He wanted them to do.
  • I must remember that while it is much easier to teach by instruction than to make oneself vulnerable by demonstration, the latter is the greatest form of instruction I can give.
  • I must then allow my members to come alongside me as I do visitations, give studies, conduct training events, etc. Model it and then have them follow my example.
#6. Delegation – “I will make you fishers of men.” Matthew 4:19
  • Jesus sent out the disciples two-by-two to do the very work He had done and to prepare the way for His visits to the villages.
  • “Let the missionary meeting be turned to account in teaching the people how to do missionary work. Put work into their hands.” RH 2-8-93
  • “It is necessary to their complete education that students be given time to do missionary work.” CT 545
  • I must incorporate a practical application assignment for every instruction given. This will be accomplished through Project H.O.P.E. (Helping Others Prepare for Eternity) nights where they will be involved in home visitation, door-to-door work, following up interests, etc.
#7. Supervision – “Do ye not yet perceive?” Mark 8:17
  • “On their return the apostles told him all that they had done.” Luke 9:10
  • “Let those who are just gaining an experience be invited to meet with more experienced workers … let them tell what they have done, and what have been their failures or successes. In this way opportunity will be given to reprove or encourage, as the case may demand, and teach them how to wok in the best manner.” RH 2-28-93.
  • I must include debriefing in each of our sessions.
#8. Reproduction – “Go and bring forth fruit.” John 15:16
  • “A barren Christian is a contradiction.” The Master Plan of Evangelism, p. 100
  • The success of the mission depends on the reproduction of ourselves in others who are then taught to reproduce.
  • My motto for each member of my group is: “Win One. Disciple one.”
The above is a short summary of a 14-page document I wrote that contains many more quotes, principles and application points. I’d be happy to email it to anyone interested but I have shared these few thoughts with you because they were so life-changing for me. For those of you involved in ministry I challenge you follow Jesus’ method of discipleship. It cannot fail!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

this is incredible and powerful. please, e-mail me the document! I'd really love to pour over what you have compiled! (ozarkrose84@yahoo.com) I am so glad you were able to have such a lovely retreat in the mountains. I need that too! Unfortunately, with two small children, the chance for alone time is minimal. Thanks for sharing this! Hugs,Sarah

Manly Family said...

Please, please e-mail it to me too! Sounds like such a blessing. Glad you took that time to be refreshed by the Lord.

Anonymous said...

wow... powerful. I like what I see and I would be interested in receiving the document please.

I am glad you had such a beautiful time with God.
dm

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about it. Love MOM

Melody said...

That was a blessing Staci, and I'd love to get a copy of your document and quotes!

holamickey said...

How did you find it - the aloneness? Was it hard at first? Did you find yourself going from your agenda to His agenda? At the end where you ready to be done, or still craving more?

I am convinced there is power in this - serious power. Praise God.

Staci said...

I am so glad my post has been a blessing to so many of you. I am emailing you the document you requested. I know it will bless you as much as it did me.

Micheal, there was some adjusting to the quiet. It took probably the first afternoon for me to relax enough that I could begin to listen. At first I was thinking “I have to come out with a new direction before I leave here.” But then I set my planning aside and just began to study and listen and as I did a beautiful thing happened – He began revealing to me His plan and I got so excited. It was the perfect answer to my frustrations, so clear, so simple, so profound! This experience was so powerful! I have decided I need to do this at least once a year.

I always thought that when Jesus said “Come apart into a desert place and rest awhile” He was just talking about R&R. But now I have a whole new understanding of His words. It also means “come aside, commune with me about your work, and let Me teach you My ways.” This whole experience with God was life-changing for me, and my ministry is not ever going to be the same. I highly recommend you do to the same some time!

holamickey said...

very good stuff!

Glow4Jesus said...

I'm really glad you had that opportunity to really reconnect and refocus! Please send me the full version, I was blessed already just reading the excerpt. Hope your Christmas program goes well. Mine is this Sunday (at the church where I work).