Thursday, January 04, 2007

GYC Blessings

On Sunday I returned from a 5-day trip to Baltimore, Maryland, for the General Youth Conference. I’ve attended the GYC for the last 5 years because I find it so inspiring to join over 3000 other Adventist young adults committed to Christ. I am encouraged as I visit with friends I seldom see, and I am always spiritually challenged as I listen to the testimonies, seminars, and sermons. This year the highlights for me would be:
  • The theme BY EVERY WORD that reminded me of the importance of living by the principles in God's Word -- always!
  • The seminar by Laurel Damsteegt on the women's rights movement and women in ministry. Very enlightening!
  • The Bible Worker Networking session I moderated. This group of dedicated young people had some terrific ideas for creating support and resources for Bible workers throughout North America. It was a pleasure to interact with them!
  • Being a part of the prayer team that prayed with David Asscherick each night before he preached. God spoke through him in a mighty way! (Follow the link below to watch them online.)
  • Visiting with Gary Gibbs and his family. He trained me in Bible Work in California in 1999 when I lived with he and his wife.
  • Being able to bring Laura & Samantha to GYC -- two young girls from Michigan experiencing it for the first time. They loved it!
  • The beautiful music given by the GYC choir on Sabbath morning.
  • The youth panel discussion on lessons we can learn from the story of Joseph -- my most favorite Old Testament Bible character.
  • Seeing over 1600 young people load into 35 buses to go out into the streets of Baltimore to pray with people and sign them up for Bible studies.

I wish each of you could have been at GYC! It was a tremendous spiritual blessing! Please watch the programs online at http://www.hopevideo.com/media_with_gyc_2006.htm. More will be posted soon! And plan to come or send your young people to GYC 2007 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, December 19-23.







No comments: